- By 2100, it will be home to 4.4 billion people - four times its current population.
- By 2050, more than half of Africa’s 2.2bn people will live in its rapidly expanding cities. That’s the equivalent of the population of China.
Given the implications of this huge growth, it suggests that current development trajectories are not promising and may not be able to "deliver on the aspirations of broad-based human development and prosperity for all".
Solutions recommended include;
- infrastructure that improves education,health and security and economic prospects
- sustainable governance systems
- embracing new urban paradigms,
- better data, better decisions and
- diversified economies